The Breadwinner Moms

0

breadwinner-moms

According to a Pew Research report, results show that women are now the primary breadwinners in 40 percent of households with children under 18. To break it down even further, of the 40 percent that are breadwinner moms, 37 percent are married and make more than their husbands. The other 63 percent are single moms. There was a huge shift since the 1960s where the share was only 11 percent.

One explanation for the increase in breadwinner moms could be the recession. It has pushed women to play the primary earning role. In 2007, before the recession, only 20 percent of mothers stated they would like to work full time rather than part time. By the end of the year 2012, it has risen up to 32 percent.

Although many people are still divided about whether it is good for mothers to work or not, the societal norms are changing. Newlyweds are showing more openness to having the wife earn more money than married couples that have been married for a longer time. Americans, now more than ever, are also becoming more accepting of single mothers. You can find more information about the changes in women and the workforce with the full Pew Research report here.

While some women are able to engage in a busy career and juggle family responsibilities, it is still a never-ending struggle. The issue here isn’t really about whether a woman should choose between her career and being a mother. It is next to impossible to say that women get the “best of both worlds.” The true challenge here is finding the best balance between work and family.

Share.

Comments are closed.